Friday, April 29, 2011

Trivial Pursuit for Book-Lovers

Children's: Who are known as the Trenchcoat Twins, in a top-selling book series?

Classics:  What Mart Crowley drama finds Harold getting a hustler named "Cowboy" as a birthday gift?

Non-Fiction: What All Things Considered co-host flits around Orville and Wilbur Wright's old haunts, in The Flyers?

Book Club: What Peter Shaffer play sees Antonio Salieri sadly sigh: "I was born with a pair of ears and nothing else"?

Authors: Who left instructions that his poem "Crossing the Bar" be included at the end of all editions of his poetry?

Book Bag: Who observes, in The Call of Cthulhu: "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents"?

8 comments:

CSchu said...

Wow! I know two this week. "Amadeus" and "HP Lovecraft." I won't say which questions these answer, so as not to tip off other players! :-)

Karen K. said...

How pathetic, I didn't know a single one! I vaguely remembered the one about Clthuthu but I couldn't remember the author. This was a tough one.

Cschu said...

OK.... I'm an idiot. I see that I gave the facile answer to the last question. It is clearly asking about the character, not the author. I have no clue. (I have heard enough about HP Lovecraft's stuff, especially Cthulhu, that I am really sure I never want to read this. It would give me nightmares.)

Harriet said...

Children's: for the record, I only know this from volunteering in my son's school library for a couple of years. It's Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen.

Classics: The only Crowley I've heard of is The Boys in the Band, but I've never read/seen it, so I can't confirm this is the one.

Non-Fiction: I had no idea. I went and looked it up because I wanted to know, but I'll keep my mouth shut. I have another of this author's books, though, and I probably should have guessed it.

Book Club: Amadeus.

Author's: Tennyson. But I didn't know that story.

Book Bag: Lovecraft. I've never read Lovecraft, but I've always loved the word "Cthulhu," which I always think of as a Welsh word spelled backward.

Jeanne said...

CSchu, It is a badly written question, because the answer is the author. I didn't even catch that, although I did correct the card's italicizing of the name of the poem and the incorrect use of past tense ("observed") about what I can only hope is fiction.

Harriet, Welsh spelled backwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Geez, nothing. Rough questions this week!

Karen said...

Book Club: Amadeus

Other than that...

Jeanne said...

Children's: Mary-Kate and Ashley
Classics: The Boys in the Band
Non-Fiction: Noah Adams
Book Club: Amadeus
Authors: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Book Bag: H.P. Lovecraft

So we didn't know Noah Adams. Just for the record, I did know that Tennyson story; it was not made up for this particularly error-ridden card!