Friday, February 25, 2011

Trivial Pursuit for Book-Lovers

Children's: What Elizabeth Enright classic sends Portia and Julian to a deserted resort community on the shores of a forgotten body of water?

Classics: What name did Jem and Scout use to address their father, in To Kill a Mockingbird?

Non-Fiction: What mystery writer set out to chronicle the year following her 77th birthday in Time to Be in Earnest, but ended up with a full autobiography?

Book Club: What European nation is the setting for the final days of The English Patient's title character?

Authors: Who's written 55 books under her own name, and 77 as Stephanie James, Amanda Glass, Amanda Quick, Jayne Taylor, Jayne Bentley or Jayne Castle?

Book Bag: What horror writer received instant acclaim in 1984 for his debut three-volume Books of Blood series?

13 comments:

FreshHell said...

Classic: Atticus?
Non-Fiction: P.D.James
Book Bag: Clive Barker

I should know the others but I don't.

Karen said...

I should've known the PD James one--I've read enough of her books--but I didn't.

I do, however, know that the English patient is neither English by birth nor by marriage nor by residency. He was an unmarried Hungarian count who lay dying in Italy.

Alison said...

The authors one is making me crazy, but I can't bring myself to cheat and Google it...

Karen K. said...

Children's -- Gone-Away Lake
Classics -- Atticus
Book Club -- Italy

Harriet said...

Tough one this week.
Children's: The Gone-Away Lake
Classics: Atticus
Non-Fiction: P.D. James

I should know Book Club, but I can't remember. I don't know Authors, but why on earth would someone need so many pseudonyms? It sounds like she has something to hide.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Classics: Atticus, that's all I've got.

Betty (Beth) said...

Classics: Atticus

Obviously last week's questions were a fluke. :-)

Jenny said...

Children's: Gone Away Lake
Classics: Atticus
Nonfiction: PD James, I thinnk?
Authors: JAYNE ANN KRENTZ.

(I just wrote that in capitals because I have been waiting for years and years for that information to be valuable to me and NOW AT LAST IT IS. My first job was at a romance novel bookstore, and Jayne Ann Krentz had fifty thousand books shelved under twenty different names and it was impossible to find them. I even wrote a little poem about it.)

Jeanne said...

Jenny, Can we please, please read your poem?!!

Marie Cloutier said...

Book Club; Italy? Loved that book. :-)

Jeanne said...

Children's: Gone-Away Lake
Classics: Atticus
Non-Fiction: P.D. James
Book Club: Italy
Authors: Jayne Ann Krentz
Book Bag: Clive Barker

Collectively, we got them all!

Harriet, one reason for a plethora of pseudonyms is that in the olden days authors were told that more than one book each year wouldn't sell, so prolific writers published additional titles under psuedonyms.

Anonymous said...

...No. My poem is stupid. I was only sixteen.

Jeanne said...

Aw, Jenny. But you're right, the internet is a better place without the poems of 16-year-olds. Well, most 16-year-olds. There's probably some Keats.