Friday, February 19, 2010

Trivial Pursuit for Book-Lovers

Children's: What famed cinematic nanny wrote the novel The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles?

Classics: What novel begins "As Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from uneasy dreams he found himself transformed in his bed into a gigantic insect"?

Non-Fiction: What Baptist minister made bestseller lists with a self-help series on living a "Purpose-Driven Life"?

Book Club: What ethnic slur did novelist Jessica Hagedorn pick for the title of her 1990 novel, enraging many fellow Filipino-Americans?

Authors: What author was touted as the "Bard of the Litigious Age" on a 1990 Time magazine cover?

Book Bag: What Maeve Binchy novel focuses on the loves and lives of cooking school chums Cathy Scarlet and Tom Feather?

Evidently, you have an advantage this week if you remember the 1990s!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! I am first!

Classics: Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka.

Book Club: Dogeaters

Authors: Guessing -- John Grisham? Louis Begley?

Book Bag: Scarlet Feather

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

Children's: Julie Andrews

Classics: Metamorphosis

Non-fiction: Rick Warren

Book Bag: Scarlet Feather

Amanda said...

Classics: The Metamorphosis. Don't know any of the rest of them...

Betty (Beth) said...

I sadly only know one.

Childrens: Julie Andrews. :-)

Harriet said...

Children's: Julie Andrews
Classics: Metamorphosis
Non-Fiction: Rick Warren (ugh)
Book Club: Dogeaters
Authors: It's got to be Scott Turow, although I've never heard of this.
Book Bag: don't know; not Circle of Friends.

Kristen said...

WooHoo. I actually know the frist four without looking them up. Guess I remember my 90's. ;-)

Jenny said...

Children's: Julie Andrews
Classics: The Metamorphosis, Franz Kafka
Nonfiction: Rick Warren

I guess half isn't too bad!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I got half of them! What fun :)

Jeanne said...

Childrens: Julie Andrews

Classics: The Metamorphosis

Non-Fiction: Rick Warren

Book Club: Dogeaters

Authors: Scott Turow

Book Bag: Scarlet Feather

Have you noticed I like to wait to give the answers until someone has gotten each one right--it hardly ever takes more than a weekend! You are a well-read group!

Karen said...

I only knew about The Metamorphosis. I see others suggesting that the litigious bard is Scott Turow, but I could only think of John Grisham on my own.

Jeanne said...

Karen, I did mean as a group!
I picked out that card because I knew at least three...they were Julie Andrews, the Metamorphosis, and Scott Turow.