Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day Trivial Pursuit for Book-Lovers

I looked through one entire deck of cards for the book-lover's trivial pursuit game to find some that had to do with Christmas, since it falls on a Friday this year. I found only one Christmas question, and here it is, at the end:

Children's: What novel centers on a teen from the kingdom of Alagaesia who finds a bright blue dragon egg?
Classics: What novel by Jane Austen concerns Anne Elliot's regrets at being talked out of marrying the love of her life?
Non-Fiction: What 88-year-old historian chatted about death with 60 folks to pen Will the Circle Be Unbroken?
Book Club: What Kurosawa film do single mom Sibylla and her six-year-old son watch incessantly, in Helen Dewitt's debut novel, The Last Samurai?
Authors: What prolific children's author has hosted a weekly BBC Radio show called Jakestown for 20 years?
Book Bag: What Yuletide tale finds Santa stuffing beef jerky and Moon Pies into the stockings of trailer-park denizens Bubba and Earlene?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just know that I was never good at this game. The only one I came close was with movies and TV. Yes, that's really sad, but I use to be an addict.

Merry Christmas! :)

Clark said...

Will the Circle Be Unbroken is Studs Terkel. Other than that I got nothin'.

PAJ said...

Three out of six isn't great, but here are my answers:
Q1: Eragon
Q3: Studs Terkel
Q5: Brian Jacques

Dreamybee said...

My only guess is Eragon as well for #1. I just wanted to stop by and wish you a (belated) Merry Christmas!

Karen said...

Eragon and Persuasion are the only two I know.

Hope your holidays have been merry thus far.

Kristen said...

Wow! Questions were much harder than I anticipated. Makes me think I'm not as well read as I'd hoped.

Harriet said...

Children's. Eragon?
Classics. Persuasion
Non-fiction. Studs Terkel
Book Club. Seven Samurai?
Authors: Oh, damn. I can't think of his name, but he wrote Redwall
Book Bag: No idea.

Jeanne said...

Harriet got all but the last one right:
Eragon
Persuasion
Studs Terkel
The Seven Samurai
Brian Jacques (who wrote Redwall)
and here's the one no one got:
The Redneck Night Before Christmas

Harriet said...

Brian Jacques! And the only reason I knew that one is that AJ just read Redwall and I had looked him up. Funny I remembered the radio bit and not his name.