Monday, April 7, 2008

Music

The Knox County Symphony is playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto #2 with a faculty pianist this spring, and although I'm convinced I've heard this music as background in some kind of big-screen movie, I can't find it on IMDB except in Shine, and I don't think that's what I'm associating with it. Do any of you musical readers know what movie I'm thinking of?

Our bass player brought in two pages of the String Quartet No. 556(b) for Strings last week. It is absolutely hilarious. You can see the second page at

http://www.well.com/user/bryan/quartet.html

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check under Rachmaninoff's name at IMDB, it should give you a list of movies.

Jeanne said...

Looking up Rachmaninoff at IMDB gives me Shine, which I mentioned, and also Spiderman 3, which I haven't seen.

Anonymous said...

Wikipedia has a bunch of things listed in the entry for Rach 2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Concerto_No._2_(Rachmaninoff)

Also, I seem to remember another film about pianists that used the piece. I was thinking it was the highly mediocre Richard Dreyfus/Amy Irving vehicle The Competition, but imdb doesn't list it in the soundtrack credits. I'll keep thinking.

Anonymous said...

ve been wondering for weeks about the correct pronunciation of the first word of the title of your blog, and I've finally looked it up:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/necromancy

The cool thing is that if you hit the little pronunciation button, it sounds exactly like Ellen Degeneres. Especially when she says words like "necromantically".

Jeanne said...

Well, I've decided that it's my imagination. Literally. Sometimes when I'm reading and listening to music, I associate the story with the music. And sometimes I picture vistas, kind of my own program-music, when I'm listening to a piece of music. It must be something like that with the Rachmaninoff.