Monday, March 17, 2008

My favorite Irish writer

When Miriam and Ron and I shared a townhouse in Laurel, Maryland we called it Earnest Manor, in honor of our favorite play, Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. So in honor of St. Patrick's Day, I give you my very favorite lines from the play:

If I am occasionally a little over-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated. (Algernon)
---I can't help taking this personally, as someone who likes to dress up in a casual age and who has a PhD that is of little practical value.

One must be serious about something, if one wants to have any amusement in life. (Algernon)
---Certainly I'm very serious about the study of irony.

When I am in trouble, eating is the only thing that consoles me. Indeed, when I am in really great trouble, as any one who knows me intimately will tell you, I refuse everything except food and drink. (Algernon)
---Really, I never can sympathize with those heroes and heroines who can't eat in times of great tension.

When one is in town one amuses oneself. When one is in the country one amuses other people. (Jack)
---This may have been more true in past centuries, but it's still applicable if you live in a small, rural community and spend some time on the weekends in the nearest big city.

Never speak disrespectfully of Society, Algernon. Only people who can’t get into it do that. (Lady Bracknell)
---Isn't that still true? I'm watching the "geeks are cool" trend with interest to see if human nature will ever change.

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means. (Miss Prism)
---Ooh, I love it when someone tells me what fiction means and I don't have to figure it out for myself!!!

No comments: