Friday, April 23, 2010

Trivial Pursuit for Book-Lovers

Children's: What pen name did Marijane Meaker adopt for the books Deliver Us from Evie, Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack! and Shoebag?

Classics: What Chekhov play centers on unfulfilled siblings named Olga, Masha and Irina?

Non-Fiction: What illustrated David Macaulay book depicts the maze of support systems beneath a modern city?

Book Club: What novel by Marianne Wiggins finds an amateur chemist from Kitty Hawk falling for a glassblower's daughter?

Authors: What author of Rubyfruit Jungle warned "Next time anyone calls me a lesbian writer I'm going to knock their teeth in"?

Book Bag: What 1996 best-selling novel began as a newspaper column for Britain's Independent?

8 comments:

Alison said...

Classics: Three Sisters
Authors: Rita Mae Brown
Book Bag: Bridgit Jones' Diary? (guessing on this one)

"Dinky Hocker" is making me nuts at the moment - I remember reading it as a kid, but cannot recall the author.

readersguide said...

Non-fiction: Underground.

There was a Chekhov film festival here a week or so ago and I cannot believe I missed every single film. Next year I will not miss anything.

Karen said...

The last has to be Bridget Jones' Diary, but I don't know any of the others.

Harriet said...

I'm not looking at other comments so I can play long, so forgive the repeats.

Children's: M.E. Kerr. I've never read her books, but I know of her through her association with Louise Fitzhugh

Classics: Three Sisters

Non-Fiction: Underground -- love this one. Love all Macaulay, actually.

Book Club: ??? Isn't she the one who used to be married to Rushdie?

Authors: Rita Mae Brown

Book Bag: Bridget Jones, I think.

Jeanne said...

Harriet, yes she did use to be married to Rushdie.

Jeanne said...

Children's: M.E. Kerr
Classics: Three Sisters
Non-Fiction: Underground
Book Club: Evidence of Things Unseen
Authors: Rita Mae Brown
Book Bag: Bridget Jones' Diary

As a group (especially with Harriet's help), we got all but one, the Wiggins novel.

bermudaonion said...

The only one I knew was authors, but other people already answered it.

Jeanne said...

Kathy, We're all just showing off, anyway. I should probably offer prizes for the first answer in each category some Friday in the future. That might add some interest to the game.