Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hunger for Details

Both my kids read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins right after it came out, and both of them recommended it to me. Because I have an enormous to-be-read pile right now, though (my eyes were bigger than my reading capacity) I hadn't gotten to it until this weekend, when this review made me think it was about time.

I picked it up around 9:30 last night and thought I'd read a little bit. And then I kept reading. And finally I looked at the clock and it was about 11, and I decided that I wasn't going to be able to go to bed until I finished reading, which everyone who knows me will tell you is most unusual! And when I got to the end at almost midnight, I was a bit frustrated. Even though the story has a resolution, I wanted to know what happens after that, which is promised in a sequel (coming out Sept. 8).

There are a lot of details about the world in which The Hunger Games take place that I'd like to know more about, but as a reader, I'm limited to the pace at which the protagonist is emerging from her small village into the wider world.

One detail in particular I wonder about, and that's how the wolf-creatures are related to the contestants. If they are, it seems awfully far-fetched for a novel of this type. If they aren't, then why the spookiness about their eyes?

2 comments:

trish said...

Glad you liked it! Sorry you have to wait for book 2. :-)

I thought the wolf people were reincarnations of the people...and I guess it's a little far fetched for what the author presented, but I just went with it. Maybe she'll explain that more in book 2.

Amy said...

I thought they used the dna or something to make the wolf creatures...sort of how they made all those other strange creatures.